***Update: As of Oct 1, Rise of the Resistance is no longer using a virtual queue. You can just hop in line for it like any other ride.
Rise of the Resistance is the newest Attraction located in Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge at Disney's Hollywood Studios. To ride the attraction you will need to attain a “boarding group” from within the My Disney Experience app. This boarding group puts you in a virtual queue for the ride.
You can request to join the virtual queue at 7 AM (prior to park entry) with a valid Disney park pass reservation. Or, try at 1:00 PM after you've entered Disney's Hollywood Studios. (You can only enter the virtual queue once per day.)
If you weren’t able to get a park reservation for Hollywood Studios, there is still a chance. Read this other post on what to do when there are no park reservations available for Hollywood Studios during your trip.
The virtual queue is great, but there is one problem. The ride is so popular that the demand outweighs the availability.
We here at Sojourney Travel want you to experience all Disney World has to offer, so we have made a list of tips to help you win one of the prized boarding groups.
- If you haven’t already, download the My Disney Experience app.
- Turn off wifi and use cellular data.
- Prior to 7 am, make sure you are logged in.
- Have as many members of your party to attempt as possible. Everyone will need the app. If someone gets a boarding group, everyone else will get an error. That’s okay. No one should give up until someone has confirmed that they have a boarding group number.
- Within the app, navigate to the Virtual Queues tab by first clicking on the 3 lines in the bottom right corner of the app. (This gives you a bit of advantage by not using the button on the main page that everyone else uses.)
6. At 6:59 AM, click the “Join Virtual Queue” button.
7. Now, on the next screen you will place your finger on the middle of the screen and pull down. Every time you pull down and release it will check for a group. (See the next photo.) BUT, you should just pull down at 6:59 AM and do not release until the clock changes at exactly 7:00 AM. The groups will be gone the very next second, so you want to be right on time.
8. If all goes well, this will be the next screen you see and you will click join.
9. The next screen is “create your party”. Ignore everything on the page. Just look for the join button at the bottom and click it without hesitation. Your party will autofill. If it happens to be incorrect, you can have it corrected by a cast member later. Do not hesitate on this screen or you will not get a boarding group. (This is where most people mess up.)
10. Hopefully your next screen will look like this, or maybe even an earlier time if you are lucky! 🙂
Even with all these tips, even when you have practiced and prepared, sometimes these boarding groups tend to be elusive. You can try again at 1:00 PM, but please do not let it ruin your day. Hollywoods Studios is an amazing park with non-stop fun! You will still have a fantastic day! If Rise of the Resistance is super important to you, we can give you even more suggestions on how to maximize your chances. Contact your travel agent today!
Already booked? We can still help! We can take over your reservation if it is within 30 days of your booking date.
Dannielle has been a lover of travel her whole life. From family ski trips in Canada and the US, to adventurous deep sea fishing and lobstering in the Florida Keys, her love for travel never stops. Since having children of her own, she has fallen in love with the magic and wonder that Walt Disney World Resort vacations bring her family. She is always planning trips for herself, family, and friends and now is excited to help YOU plan your next Disney or Universal Vacation.
Attention to detail is her specialty, and she loves finding magical moments everywhere in her trips. Dannielle is a blessed wife and mother to four amazing children.